Suicide... Such a big and scary word. Unfortunately, it has becomes a very familiar word to many silent sufferers.
According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, suicide has become the tenth leading cause of death in the United States. Yes, it is in the top 10 list along with cancer, heart disease, and kidney failure. In 2017, among young people in the 15 to 24 age group, it is actually the second leading cause of death in the United States. Since 2000, there has been 47 percent more suicides among the 15 to 19 age group. In 2017, 1,400,000 people attempted suicide and 47,173 succeeded. Those are very large numbers and they're only the reported numbers. Many cases go unreported because of the stigma associated with suicide.
Our bodies are an amanah (trust) from Allah subhanah wa talla. Life is very sacred and we need to take care of ourselves in the best possible manner. However, sometimes things get a little too difficult to handle and you might find yourself depressed. As a young person dealing with depression, you might find yourself extremely overwhelmed with the feelings that encompass you. You find it hard to speak to anyone and decide to deal with your feelings on your own.
It's okay to have these feelings, but it's also okay reach out for help. It's okay to open up to someone you trust. You don't have to deal with these feelings alone and suffer silently.
If you're not ready to talk to someone you know and trust, it's okay as well.
You can anonymously call, text, or chat with a trained suicide specialist.
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1- 800-273-TALK )
You can text them as well by texting the word, "GO" to 741741.
You can also chat with them here: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/
Remember that life is sacred as Allah subhanah wa talla said in the Quran:
"...أَنَّهُ مَن قَتَلَ نَفْسًا بِغَيْرِ نَفْسٍ أَوْ فَسَادٍ فِي الْأرْضِ فَكَأَنَّمَا قَتَلَ النَّاسَ جَمِيعًا وَمَنْ أَحْيَاهَا فَكَأَنَّمَا أَحْيَا النَّاسَ جَمِيعًا وَلَقَدْ جَاءَتْهُمْ رُسُلُنَا بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ ثُمَّ إِنَّ كَثِيرًا مِّنْهُم بَعْدَ ذَٰلِكَ فِي الْأرْضِ لَمسْرِفُونَ.
"...annahu man qatala nafsan bighayri nafsin aw fasadin fee al-ardi fakaannama qatala alnnasa jameeAAan waman ahyaha fakaannama ahya alnnasa jameeAAan walaqad jaat-hum rusuluna bialbayyinati thumma inna katheeran minhum baAAda thalika fee al-ardi lamusrifoona."
"...if anyone slays a human being-unless it be [in punishment] for murder or for spreading corruption on earth-it shall be as though he had slain all mankind; whereas, if anyone saves a life, it shall be as though he had saved the lives of all mankind. And, indeed, there came unto them Our apostles with all evidence of the truth: yet, behold, notwithstanding all this, many of them go on committing all manner of excesses on earth." Surah Al Maidah (5), verse 32.
Contentment exists and you don't have to live with sadness and depression. Working hard towards the goal of happiness is the first step to feeling better. Reach out for help when you're ready so you can start feeling how meaningful life is.
If you need to talk to someone and you are in the Saint Louis, MO area, feel free to go to Dr. Mahrukh Khan's walk in clinic, which is open 4pm-6pm every Friday. Please contact us for the address and contact number.
Beautiful recitation that calms the heart
Translation (noblequran.com) of Surat Al Hujurat (49)
1. O you who believe! Do not put (yourselves) forward before Allah and His Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم), and fear Allah. Verily! Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.
2. O you who believe! Raise not your voices above the voice of the Prophet
(صلى الله عليه وسلم), nor speak aloud to him in talk as you speak aloud to one another, lest your
deeds may be rendered fruitless while you perceive not.
3. Verily! Those who lower their voices in the presence of Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم), they are the ones whose hearts Allah has tested for piety. For them is forgiveness and a great reward.
4. Verily! Those who call you from behind the dwellings, most of them have no sense.
5. And if they had patience till you could come out to them, it would have been better for them. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
6. O you who believe! If a rebellious evil person comes to you with a news, verify it, lest you harm people in ignorance, and afterwards you become regretful to what you have done.
7. And know that, among you there is the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم). If he were to obey you (i.e. follow your opinions and desires) in much of the matter, you would surely be in trouble, but Allah has endeared the Faith to you and has beautified it in your hearts, and has made disbelief, wickedness and disobedience (to Allah and His Messenger ) hateful to you. These! They are the rightly guided ones,
8. (This is) a Grace from Allah and His Favour. And Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise.
9. And if two parties or groups among the believers fall to fighting, then make peace between them both, but if one of them rebels against the other, then fight you (all) against the one that which rebels till it complies with the Command of Allah; then if it complies, then make reconciliation between them justly, and be equitable. Verily! Allah loves those who are equitable.
10. The believers are nothing else than brothers (in Islamic religion). So make reconciliation between your brothers, and fear Allah, that you may receive mercy.
11. O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group, it may be that the latter are better than the former; nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former, nor defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. How bad is it, to insult one's brother after having Faith [i.e. to call your Muslim brother (a faithful believer) as: "O sinner", or "O wicked", etc.]. And whosoever does not repent, then such are indeed Zalimun (wrong-doers, etc.).
12. O you who believe! Avoid much suspicions, indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting) . And fear Allah. Verily, Allah is the One Who accepts repentance, Most Merciful.
13. O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allah is that (believer) who has At-Taqwa [i.e. one of the Muttaqun (pious - see V.2:2)]. Verily, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware.
14. The bedouins say: "We believe." Say: "You believe not but you only say, 'We have surrendered (in Islam),' for Faith has not yet entered your hearts. But if you obey Allah and His Messenger ), He will not decrease anything in reward for your deeds. Verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
15. Only those are the believers who have believed in Allah and His Messenger, and afterward doubt not but strive with their wealth and their lives for the Cause of Allah. Those! They are the truthful.
16. Say: "Will you inform Allah about your religion? While Allah knows all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth, and Allah is All-Aware of everything.
17. They regard as favour upon you (O Muhammad ) that they have embraced Islam. Say: "Count not your Islam as a favour upon me. Nay, but Allah has conferred a favour upon you, that He has guided you to the Faith, if you indeed are true.
18. Verily, Allah knows the unseen of the heavens and the earth. And Allah is the All-Seer of what you do.